Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Witnessing

So, on my bus ride home from Welland yesterday, I eavesdropped on an interesting conversation between the bus driver and another woman on the bus. They were talking about their life experiences, and the woman started talking about an injury she experienced years ago which left her with a bad back. As they talked some more, the driver, not so casually, brought up Christianity and healing etc...He began to witness to her, told her about his story and how he became a Christian. Asked her if she was born again. She said yes. Asked her if she went to church, she said no. So, here is where I found the conversation to go a bit uncomfortable. In one breath the driver says, you don't have to go to church or anything...a few moments later, he's saying she does, inviting her out to his church, and really badgering her to find a "home". Also asked her why she didn't have her back prayed for because "it's as simple as asking and you receive healing", even though HE had never been healed himself!

I suppose I'm about to contradict myself, but I personally don't believe anyone HAS to go to church in order to be a believer. Scripture states that if you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Christ died for your sins, you are saved. Do I think it's a good idea to go to church, absolutely! BUT I don't think it is a necessary thing for your salvation. (The contradiction comes because I'm married to a pastor, and probably should believe that everyone must go to church). I honestly believe that those are the "grey areas" of faith, the areas in which we must decide what is best for our own personal faith. There are certain rules everyone must follow...but I don't believe it is in our hands to decide whether or not someone else goes to church, we are responsible for what WE do. I think if we know and love someone, and they ask for our opinions then we can offer what our experiences are...NOT before and certainly not to a stranger. Now, I don't know this man's heart, and maybe this is exactly what this woman needed, I don't know. I just know that as a "fly on the wall" I was uncomfortable.

As for the healing stuff, that also bothered me. I have encountered people in my walk who have said things that hurt me pretty badly. Saying that I don't have enough faith to heal my kids, or to get through certain circumstances in my life. I do not believe that everyone is or should be healed. Sometimes we have an ailment that we are meant to live with, even Paul had "thorn in his flesh". We don't know what that was, but it most certainly was something he lived with. Why then is there this belief that ALL will be healed? I have seen so much GOOD come of the kids "ailment". I've seen both myself and Steve grow as people, I've learned so much about the heart of God. Going through some of my physical issues in the last 6 months has certainly taught me to rely on God, knowing that He is guiding me has helped.

I just don't know what to do with all this. On one hand, I understood where this man was coming from, he was exuberant about his faith and wanted to share it with others but as an onlooker, I also saw how uncomfortable the woman was. Do we witness at any cost, or do we watch body language of those we are talking to? Is witnessing always that bold or is a quiet witness sometimes needed?? Can we as Christians ever cross the line? Do we ever open our mouths when really we need to shut up and live?

These are all issues we as Christians struggle with. I know I've hand countless conversations with others about this very topic. It's time for Christians to step out of their corner and share their faith for sure, but I'm not sure I'd ever be comfortable with the approach this guy took. When she agreed that she was born again (she believed that Christ died on the cross for her sins), I'm not sure how I felt about him pestering her into church or chastizing her for not praying for healing. Am I wrong to be uncomfortable? I don't know.

No comments: