Saturday, November 17, 2007

Ironicly Funny

This week I had a meeting with the school to discuss the kids Individual Education Plan. At this meeting, I also got some great feedback from their classroom teachers and how the kids are adapting into the classroom. This is too great not to share.

Logan does a great job in class, he is following most of the classroom routine with very little modification for him. During math class there was a substitute teacher who happened to be the learning resource teacher who Logan is quite familiar with. Logan normally stays pretty quiet through the lessons, but because he was so familiar with this teacher, and it was SO out of the ordinary for her to be in this roll, my son actually disrupted the lesson. Of all the kids to get in trouble for back-talking, IT WAS LOGAN!!! I never thought I'd reach the day that I was actually proud of Logan for back-talking. Now please don't misunderstand, he wasn't being rude or mean or anything of the sort, he was just repeating back VERY loudly everything the teacher was saying. It did my heart good to know that Logan has come far enough that he can get in trouble for something that we never really anticipated him to get in trouble for! Oh the things that I can rejoice over. Another thing to add to the list of unexpected triumphs.

Please remember Abby's teacher in your thoughts, in regards to getting used to Abby. I think it will be difficult for any teacher who has had Logan first, being very used to what his behaviours are, to be suddenly confronted with his complete polar opposite the following year. Don't get me wrong, she really likes Abby, and Abby is doing well but she is a very different child from Logan. When you don't have a tremendous amount of experience with autism, and the first couple of children who you do encounter are siblings who are as opposite as can be, it's going to be difficult but rewarding journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Logan!