Thursday, November 08, 2007

The Golden Compass

I was reading Ben Witherington and his take on the Golden Compass movie which is based on Phillip Pullmans trilogy "His Dark Materials". I read the trilogy over my vacation in Calgary and I must say that I really enjoyed the books. They are a great work of sci/fi, and it really got one thinking about religion on a whole. While Pullmans take on it was from an atheistic point of view, I believe it gives insights to Christians as well. He attacks many areas of the Christian church in the book that I myself am ashamed of.

Ben (as if I can be on 1st name basis of someone I don't know!) cautions parents not to bring their kids to see the movie because Phillip Pullman is an atheist and the book is very much anti religion and it will not point towards the "true north". I have been thinking about it all morning and I really disagree with this stance. I believe for too long parents have sheltered their kids from so many things, it tends to make the kids rebel and isolates them from their peers. Instead of not taking the kids, why not take them and use it as a teaching opportunity? I'm of a very strong belief that we must teach our kids about our faith, but running from anything that disagrees with our faith...that's taking it a step too far for me. There was so much buzz around the Harry Potter series a few years ago in Christian circles, and I fear the same thing will happen with this. Although the books were written a number of years ago, they are sure to gain some popularity again with the movie coming out.

Why do Christians feel the need to flee from anything that is different from their beliefs? I want for my kids to have the knowledge to make the decision on their own, of course it's my prayer and desire that they choose our faith, it's our responsibility to demonstrate to our kids what being a Christian is all about. But didn't Jesus hang out with those different from him? Wasn't it him who befriended prostitutes? Didn't have have dinner with tax-collectors? I really believe that we have made a very poor decision by isolating ourselves from the rest of the world. I honestly believe we'd do our kids a better service by showing love to those around us, whether they hold our specific views or not. Why does it have to be an "us/them"? We really should get back to what Jesus teaches us through his actions.

Stepping off my soapbox now!

1 comment:

SJBedard said...

Preach it girl!