Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Updates from the House of Procrastination

Well, I survived my operation. I am two weeks post-op and everything went beautifully. I spent a week and a few days with my parents, with Emma joining me after the first couple of days. I was anxious to get home, and as always overdid it when I got home, but overall I'm doing well. No complaints coming from me because recovery was easier than the attacks. My only wish would be that Justus STOP using me as a ladder, it's just not comfortable to have little toes in places where a GALLBLADDER just came out of!

Yesterday morning I heard a bit of a thump downstairs (every mothers nightmare, since Justus was downstairs 'napping' at the time.) It was followed by a brief cry and as I was heading downstairs to find out what it was, I heard the dreaded pitter-patter of little toddler feet on the floor, hysterical laughter following. My heart sank that very moment! Justus was a free boy and he knew it, and I knew in that moment the days of his sleeping in a crib were over. You see, he's not a 'oh, how did I do that?' kind of boy, he's been WORKING at it!! So yesterday afternoon was spent Justus' proofing the boys room. Then comes the dreaded FIRST NIGHT in a bed, no crib rails-no nothing, freedom at any moment HE chooses. Thankfully last night, he chose to stay in his bed and sleep :) Our little man is growing up!

The last two days have been SNOW days in our house, no school. Well, the schools were open, but we chose NOT to send the kids. It looked VERY nasty, so we spent our days playing outside in the snow and watching movies. We had a Shrek marathon, all 3 movies back to back. The kids had fun, laughing, chasing each other and fighting over toys. Today I must admit though, I'm very glad to see school return. I am ready for a quiet house. We don't have much furniture upstairs right now (it was sent away to get repaired, our 5 month old furniture, but that's another story!) so the upstairs ECHO is quite loud, add Abby's squealing as well as Justus' imitation of it, and you don't have a very quiet house...so this morning will be quiet since Justus will be napping, as will Emma. A whole hour to myself...oh the joys and bliss those moments will bring, sipping on a hot chai tea (courtesy of my good friend Lindsay in Calgary!) and drinking in the silence of the few moments I do have. Well, that's the hope anyway, given the above paragraph speaks of my toddler in a BED, it's not a given like it would've been say yesterday or the day before! A mother can always pray!

Christmas is quickly approaching, and I have a confession to make; for some reason this year, I'm not overly keen to decorate or anything else for that matter. This is strange for me, considering I'm usually one of those people, you know, the ones that can't wait for Halloween to be over so I can put up my tree and decorations. This year though, I have no motivation. Part of it is probably the fact that I'm recovering from surgery, the other part is I know if I decorate too much or too early, it'll all get destroyed because my kids are notorious for wrecking things. But I just have no motivation, maybe sometime soon I'll find it. I'm kind of running out of time because Christmas is just 20 days away!! Steve doesn't complain, I'm sure he wouldn't care at all if we had decorations up. He's just not that kind of guy. Maybe this year we'll have an undecorated house, or we'll put up the tree on Christmas Eve and take it down on Boxing day. I'm joking of course, but there is part of me that is tempted!

Well, I think that's enough for now. I hope this blog finds you all well, and that YOU are embracing the Christmas Spirit.

No comments: