Saturday, August 18, 2007

Publications and School

I heard back from Chicken Soup, and my story, Christmas Eve Miracle was NOT chosen for the book, however it was a top finalist. It was in the top 300, out of thousands of submissions. For my first official "try" at being published, isn't too shabby. They are going to highlight the story on a new website Soul Supporter. She said she'd email when the story was going to be highlighted. While it isn't in print form, it's great that I'll be published even on the Internet. It's a step in the right direction.

I've also just completed my first college course, Writing for Publication. I received my final marks, tonight 79.6%. It bothers me that I'm just .4% away from an A, but I guess I'll take the B+. It's so exhilarating. In our first unit, we are asked to write a query letter and article for a magazine, and many of us actually submitted our letters to editors of magazines. I wrote to Exceptional Family, and offered to write our story of Milo and the kids. They've agreed that it might make a great story, and will be getting back to me next month about a possible feature in their magazine! I'll keep you updated.

I've signed up for my next course, which will be on children's fantasy literature! We will use Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia as source material, how awesome is that?!!? I can't wait. The kids and I both start school the same week.

This week I also had the privilege of speaking to a class of potential Educational Assistants at Georgian College in Owen Sound. What an experience that was! I'm not at all a public speaker, I probably should have let Steve do it, but I had fun nonetheless. It was an odd feeling to walk into the classroom, be shown to the front of the room, and have a bunch of students listen intently to what you are saying for an hour! It was great to be able to give them "the family" perspective of the children they will be working with. I'm not sure I'd ever feel overly comfortable doing it again, but it's nice to say that I lectured a college class LOL!

No comments: