Saturday, August 18, 2007

Beautiful Butterfly



“I don’t want to wear that, why can’t I wear this? I don’t like wearing dresses! I’m almost 7 now Mom! Why can’t I wear what I want to wear?”

“It’s your first day back to school honey, 2nd grade. You want to look your best for your new teacher, don’t you? Tomorrow is a big day for you.”

“I want to wear this mom! I’m comfy.”

“Alright Sara, but at least put on a different shirt, those don’t match.”

Sara crossed off the last day on her calendar as she headed to the bathroom to brush her teeth. Dreaming about the next day, she went through her bedtime routine. She was so excited to see her friends and tell them all about her adventures over summer vacation.


***

Sara grabbed her backpack and skipped down the driveway. “I’m going to school today, I’m going to school today.”

“Hello Ms. Davis” she greeted the school bus driver.

“Hi Sara, did you have a nice summer?”

Sara nodded to the driver as she walked down towards the back of the crowded bus, sitting down next to a girl with messy hair and clothes; it was the only seat left.

“Hi, I’m Sara. I’m in grade 2. What’s your name?”

The girl didn’t say anything; she just looked out the window. Sara was hurt. She kept hoping but the girl never spoke to her.

***

The bell rang and the kids filed into the classroom. When Sara saw the girl from the bus sitting at a desk near the front of the room, she pointed at her and quietly whispered to her friends. “That’s her!”

“Good morning class, welcome to Grade 2. I’m your teacher Mrs. Johnson. I’d like you all to meet Lisa. She transferred here from another school. Lisa will need your help this year to feel welcome. Everyone, please say hello to Lisa.”

“Hello Lisa” the class echoed.

***

Sara stared at Lisa all day. There was something different about her. She didn’t fit in. At the second recess break Sara stayed behind to talk to Mrs. Johnson.

“Mrs. Johnson, why doesn’t Lisa talk? I tried to talk to her on the bus this morning, but she didn’t answer. She seems strange, is there something wrong with her?”

“Sara. She does talk, but it takes her longer to answer and you have to listen carefully. If she is distracted by something, she may not hear you. Why don’t you try again? Lisa really needs a special friend and I think you are just who she needs. Why don’t you go ask her to play with you?”

“I’m kind of afraid. How do I know if she’s listening to me?”

“Call her name first. Its ok Sara, you’ll do great. Run along, you’ll miss your recess.”


***

“How was your day honey?” Sara’s mom asked as she poured a glass of milk.

“OK.”

“Your teacher told me about your new friend Lisa. Do you want to tell me about her?”

Sara started to cry. “Mom, she wouldn’t talk to me! She’s not my friend, she’s weird. I know Mrs. Johnson said that I would be a special friend for her, but I don’t want to be her friend.”

“Now Sara, we all are different. How would you feel if someone said that they didn’t want to be your friend? I bet it would hurt your feelings. I sure hope you give Lisa a second chance.”

***

Mrs. Johnson spoke to the class. “Today is a special day. We are going to work on an art project together. I’ve already selected who your partners will be, so please sit with them as I call out your names.”

As their names were called, Sara went and sat with Lisa.

“Today’s project is about celebrating our differences. We all have special gifts and talents. With your partners, I’d like you each to talk about one thing that is special about you. Then each pair is going to paint it onto this banner, to represent all that is special about the people in our class. The banner will stay up for the rest of the year.”

***
Sara was so mad; she didn’t want to be Lisa’s partner. She didn’t even ask Lisa what was special about her. She went ahead and did the project all by herself.

One by one the pairs got up and told what made them special. The banner was almost full when finally it was Sara and Lisa’s turn. Mrs. Johnson called Lisa’s name and asked “Lisa, what is special about you?”

“I …. can …. paint …. butterflies.” She answered slowly.

Sara’s mouth dropped open. It was the first time Lisa said anything since school started. Sara was even more shocked when Lisa got up and painted the most beautiful butterfly she had ever seen.

“Lisa! That is a very beautiful butterfly. Well done!” Mrs. Johnson said smiling. “Sara, it’s your turn.”

“I ride horses.” Sara answered, waiting as she picked up the paintbrush.

Sara knew she couldn’t paint well, and it was even worse to go after Lisa. Her butterfly was so pretty.

“Can …. I …. help?” Lisa asked.

Sara turned around to see Lisa standing behind her holding a paintbrush.

***

Lisa was an excellent artist; the horse she painted was just as beautiful as the butterfly. The whole class clapped as Lisa sat back down in her seat.

“Wow Lisa! That was awesome. How do you do that? Can you teach me how to paint?” Lisa couldn’t handle all the attention; she went to the corner of the classroom to look out the window.

Sara sat down in her seat, feeling sad. She knew she had to tell Lisa she was sorry.

Sara followed Lisa to the other side of the classroom.

“Lisa?”

Lisa turned her head and looked at Sara.

“Lisa, I’m sorry I was mean to you. That was a beautiful painting. Thanks for helping me. Do you want to play with me at recess?”

“It’s …. ok. I …. want …. to …. play …. with …. you …. Sara.” Lisa smiled.

***

That night Sara went home and told her mom all about Lisa’s painting.

“Mom, it was so beautiful. I didn’t know she could paint like that. We played together for the rest of the day. I really like Lisa. Can she come over and play?”

No comments: