Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Single Parenting

This week I have been alone with all 4 kids. Steve left on Saturday (thankfully the day AFTER Abby had cotton removed from her nose) for a week in Vancouver for Arrow Leadership. I really need to thank and applaud all single parents out there, because it's tough!! Wow.

Saturday night started off alright, I knew it wouldn't be great because I don't do well being 'alone' (ie the only adult in the house). So it took me awhile to settle down for the night, the last time I saw on the clock was 12:45. Then at 3:30 I woke up! I dozed off and on until 5:50 when Abby woke up. As each of the kids all got up, I realized that Justus and Emma really weren't themselves...oh goodness...sickness too?! My parents came for a visit, and Jocelyn was here in the morning, so the day didn't go too badly.

Sunday night...hopefully never to happen again! Justus had woken up crying 2x since bedtime at 7:30 so I went down and brought him upstairs to sleep in my room around 10. I went to bed at 10:30. I was tired...I had just got to the point where I was in and out of dreams when the phone rang. Thankful to talk to Steve, we chatted. Around 11:30 I settle back down, and by 12 I was asleep. At 1 AM I hear squeals of delight coming from the living room...it was Abby totally wired for sound! I told her she had 1 hour and that at 2 AM she was headed back to bed...suprisingly that worked. I settled down and into sleep when at 3 AM Emma wakes for a bottle....you've got to be kidding me! Just as I was putting Emma back down, Justus starts to cry....I'm thinking to myself, will this night EVER end!?! Well, he quickly settled and I was asleep by 4:30...only to be woken for the day just and hour and a half later at 6 AM...

Monday added insult to injury, the kids were home due to a PD day AND especially Emma had to see the doctor. Her chest was SO full and congested...so I call the office and her appt is scheduled for 4:30...now to find sitters...thankfully Jean came in the morning so I could head to the pharmacy. Sandy came later at 4:00, and then Jocelyn at 4:30...I'm so thankful for a good network of people! I headed out for some ME time once I knew the kids were ok. Went for a nice supper at Kelsey's then home to bed.

Last night went really well. Slept straight from 10-5, no interruptions...my only trouble is, today the tiredness hit me from two previous restless nights so now I feel like garbage. Abby is also starting to miss daddy, so she's really acting out. Justus is still quite cranky and Emma is still sick too....so overall, I'm ready for tomorrow to come!

And here's a little letter to my Hubby,

Dear Steve,
I'm sorry for all the times I make you get up. You're a trooper and never complain. You're awesome! I love you very much!
Love,
Amanda

No comments: