Monday, March 19, 2007

We're Home

We had such a great vacation. I was completely overwhelmed by everything that we saw and experienced. The ship was unbelievable, we were pampered beyond our wildest dreams. The two places that we were least excited about ended up being our favourites, Dubrovnik, Croatia and Rhodes, Greece. But I must say that every port that I saw was breathtaking and memorable. I ended up not going into Naples, to see Pompeii and Mt Vesuvius. I woke up under the weather, and couldn't bring myself to climb a volcano and walk through ruins. I was disappointed to miss it, but Steve still went and took an abundance of pictures.

Our vacation was all blissful until we hit JFK airport...then the stress began. We landed to find that we were in the middle of a "winterstorm" and our flight to Buffalo had been cancelled. JFK is a big airport, and difficult to get around. We ended up trying to find a hotel close to the aiport, they were all booked, and the last amount was 275/night!!! We were told about a motel in Queens, and we shared a cab with a couple from Sudan and went over to the motel. We spent the night, and tried to find flights available: WEDNESDAY, meaning two days from now. Totally unacceptable, we called about trains: TUESDAY, totally unacceptable! So we called a car service, and hired someone to drive us from Queens to Buffalo (read cha-ching, very pricey). It ended up not too bad, we had a personable driver from Pakistan, but definitely he had the need for speed! We made it to Buffalo in 7 hrs. We arrived at my parents house at 2 in the morning. We slept until around 7, left for home at 9. I tell ya, my bed has never felt so comfortable.

We were so excited to see the kids, and the same went for them. They had huge smiles for us. They seem so big, and Justus has learned so much in just a couple of weeks. He's mastered going up the stairs! We'll definitely have to teach him how to go down the proper way now. He also cut 4 teeth while we were gone. Logan's repeating has become so clear, and he seems so interested in everything. I was putting together the photo album of our trip, and he was so intent on the pictures. It was cute. Abby is happy that we are home, but is definitely having some trouble readjusting to life, this morning she had a hard time leaving us to go to school, and has been a bit cranky/testy too. But we expected it, so it's not too bad.

We're starting to get caught up on our sleep, but it's going to take awhile I'm sure. We had very little sleep from Thursday night to Saturday night, so we'll take the next few days to recoup. I think it's why I've got such a terrible headache. But it's coming along, jetlag never killed anyone that I know of. Once I've got the pictures uploaded to the computer, I'll post a few. And I'll give some thoughts about our trip and each port later on...I've got to get caught up on laundry so I can pack and head off for training with Logan's service dog.

Take care everyone!

No comments: