Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Goodbye 2007! Welcome 2008!

2007 was another year of great change for our family: some expected, some not. First our awesome vacation (that feels more like it was 4 years ago) and the taxi ride from NYC to Buffalo!! Then just a week later, Milo finally arriving. It's been such an adventure with him. At the close of 2007 I believe we're in a better place with him, he knows us better and we know him better. In May, the whirlwind of taking in Emma. Never in a million years would I have believed (even on May 14th) that on May 15th we'd add another child to the fold. I will admit in the final hours of 2007, I leaned over to Steve and whispered in his ear... "No more additions next year!" We beat our record and have been in this house longer than anywhere else in our entire marriage! It was a year of tremendous blessing and provision.

As I look to 2008 I feel excitement to see where God will take us this year. There is so much new in our lives, and as I watch all the kids grow and develop I marvel at the complexity of their creation. It's humbling to know that we have 4 kids, and yet here were are, learning to parent again. Our experience with Logan and Abby was so different, not better or worse, just different: to parent Justus and Emma will be a whole new ride. They have totally different modes of learning. It's helping in how we communicate and interact with Logan and Abby. It's made us better people.

It is hard to believe that Steve and I will be married 8 years. It's even harder to believe that Steve is going to be 40 this year!! (bring on the midlife crisis). I'm anticipating great things of what God will do for Steve and I. I feel like we're going into a new chapter of our lives, I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I really believe we're going deeper, into uncharted territory. It's exciting. I love Steve so much, and I think it's neat that after 12 years we're still learning things about each other.

I also believe that for myself, I'm going somewhere better. I feel a certain peace about things, peace with who I am, the woman I am becoming. Maybe I'm finally growing up. I never realized how much a person can evolve over such a short period of time. I hope to find more of me this year, to know more of what God has gifted me with. I want to be a better woman, a better wife, a better mother this year.

So I welcome 2008 with open arms.

No comments: